Environmental Justice Update
Whats New? On February 16, the Biden Administration issued a new Executive Order on Environmental Justice. The Order includes requirements to:
- have EPA and other federal agencies prepare an Annual Plan,
- require each agency to develop an Equity Team within 30 days,
- direct federal agencies to advance civil rights,
- allocate 15% of federal funds in fiscal year 2025 to small businesses owned and operated by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals,
- direct the Office of Management and Budget to issue guidance on making equitable decisions,
- require improved collection, analysis and use of demographic data, and
- form a White House Steering Committee on equity.
Go deeper: For more details on the Executive Order, visit the White House Briefing page.
In Virginia, DEQ has hired an Environmental Justice Manager, and has issued an invitation to a public stakeholder engagement call on March 1 at noon. For more information, contact VA DEQ’s Office of Environmental Justice.